Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Orphanages and Slashers

Alright so today we went to an orphanage named Springs of Hope, in a near by town called Machakos. It was amazing just to be able to see and be with the kids that were living there. They were excited to see us, well our group, they weren’t so sure how to react to the masungos (white people), but even then they were pretty receptive of us. Regardless it was amazing to just be able to play with these kids and love on them. We got to play with them and feed them and just be with them, it was really awesome, I don’t know how else to put it.

Also while we were there we were each given different jobs to do to help out around the orphanage and help the upkeep. Mine was slashing, which is cutting grass with a blade. This went pretty well, up until I got caught between two clothes lines and had to change the angle of how I was swinging my blade. This is about the time I hit my leg with the blade, right on the shin bone…and down to the shin bone. Seeing my bone was interesting, my first thought being “I really don’t want to go back to the hospital.” I ended up just wrapping it up and letting it heal, but yeah it was interesting.

Overall though it was an awesome experience. I loved being with the kids and just being able to play with them and show them love which so many of them so desperately need. I hope we can do more work with orphanages in the next few months. But for now as usual I remain a Temporary Kenyan, who wants to hang with kids and has a messed up leg.

No comments: